Tuesday, February 21, 2012

PM celebrates Shiva Raatri, skips Dimanche Gras show

PM Kamla attends Shiv Raatri celebrations
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissesser spent Sunday night visiting more than a dozen temples in her constituency for the annual Hindu celebration of Shiv Raatri.

She chose the religious activity over the Dimanche Gras show, which she attended last year.

Persad-Bissessar told local media the pilgrimage is nothing new. She explained that for the past 20 years she has been visiting temples in her Siparia constituency on Shiv Raatri night.

"It gives me a lot of strength and courage. I think to do this job, you must have some spiritually and some blessings. I always say put God in front and tonight I'm doing that," the Prime Minister said.

Persad-Bissessar said the message of Shiv Raatri is significant for the entire country.

"We worship in different forms, with different languages but at the end of the day, it's one God.

"For Shiv Raatri, what we seek is blessings just as we would at Christmas, at Easter time. The world is made up of diversities so you get different colours and shapes and sizes, different languages and different ways of worship. But in my heart, I truly believe there is one God and there are different forms and ways in which we worship," she said.

Persad-Bissessar said she did not regrets missing the Dimanche Gras show.

"I have participated in various activities for the Carnival. I miss nothing by doing this which brings me great comfort."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai