Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rowley stands by story of meeting staff at T&T Mission, says he has a witness

Keith Rowley is facing possible censure by Parliament over his claim that staff at the T&T mission in New York told him that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan went to the mission and complained about the ethnic composition of the personnel there.

The government has produced documentary evidence to show that Ramlogan never visited New York since taking office and has demanded an apology.

And the head of the mission, T&T's Ambassador to the UN, Rodney Charles, has gone further and stated that his investigations show that Rowley never visited the mission and that the staff have said they didn't have any discussion with the opposition leader about the AG or the issue that Rowley has raised.

Rowley has even said he would apologise "at the appropriate time."

However, on Wednesday he changed his tune and accused Charles of distorting the story and of "terrorising" the staff there. And he maintained that he did visit visit the mission on November 5, 2010 and has a witness to prove.

At the same time he admitted that he was not sure about one critical issue. “I wasn’t sure who I was meeting when I went there. I knew I was meeting T&T staff. Whoever was there I met and spoke with. We had quite an interesting meeting,” he said.

The PNM leader added that he cannot understand “how Mr Charles would be in a position to say and to prove that nobody spoke to me or what they said, they didn’t say to me. It is just preposterous.”

Rowley's witness is his parliamentary whip, Marlene Mc Donald. She insisted she was aware of the comments made by staff of the UN mission in New York.

“I was part and parcel of all the comments made at that mission with respect to the ethnic composition of the staff at the mission,” she told reporters Wednesday.

Mc Donald suggested that there is some mischief taking place. “No one could say we were not there. I was there. And if you attack Dr Rowley and say that he wasn’t there, you attacking me too. You’re attacking my credibility. I was there,” she said. She said Charles “was out of place and downright facetious."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai