Wednesday, May 18, 2011

PM says no NP contract awarded; confirms stay at contractor's home

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar told reporters Tuesday it is unfair to suggest that someone who knows the Prime Minister should not bid for a government contract.

"It would be unfair and unjust, in my respectful view, to exclude persons from bidding for contracts simply because I know them. Further, there are laws in the country to deal with these matters of integrity and we support those laws," she said.

Persad-Bissessar stayed at a private residence during the election campaign and after her victory in 2010. The issue has become topical because the owner of that property is a friend of the Prime Minister whose garbage collection company entered a bid for a $40 million contract with National Petroleum (NP) to transport petroleum.
The opposition is suggesting there is a conflict of interest.

"I did not pay rent. I did not pay a contracted sum. What would have happened is that I stayed there from time to time and I also continued to live at my private home. First, in Charlo Village, and when I moved in to the official residence, that terminated," she explained.

Persad-Bissessar also said the owners of the home at Pasea Road in Tunapuna, Maureen and Ralph Gopaul, are not related to her in any way. And she said as far as she knows their company has not won any contract from NP.

"There is someone who is saying we are hiding the fact that I stayed there; that is totally untrue; some of you will recall, some of you may have even come, media persons came; you took the photographs, you put them on the newspaper, and people knew I was staying there."

"I stayed there, as I say, before the election, I was there prior to a period before the election, indeed; I was staying with another relative and that's when I got the death threats and the robbery to the vehicle, and I was then graciously allowed to stay at this home where it was very enclosed and in the middle, and it was thought it would be safe for me to stay.

"Remember, I did not have security and police and so on when I was campaigning, and so I started staying there before the election; I stayed there for some time before the election; I did not go to rent a home, others rented homes and stayed in hotels; I did not bring that additional cost to the taxpayers," she said.

"I am advised that the contract has not yet been awarded. I have no official documents. I want to say I have no interest in any contract that have been granted by the State or any State Enterprise," she said.

"I have asked the Line Minister to provide a report. In the matter of contracts, boards are expected to be faithful to the tender rules and to be fair," she said.

"I have pledged to have a Government that adheres to the best practices when it comes to procurement, and the joint select committee is looking at that legislation, and should any member of the Government or should any member of any board transgress against these laws and practices, then I would deal with it decisively as I have already demonstrated," she said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai