Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Williams takes charge; praises contribution of Gibbs, Ewatski but says local is better

Ag. CoP Stephen Williams (left) with Deputy Commissioner Mervyn Richardson (Express photo)
Stephen Williams officially took charge of the Trinidad & Tobago Police Service (TTPS) Tuesday as Acting Police Commissioner and in his first media briefing he made it clear that he is no political tool. He also told reporters his qualifications and experience can stand up to public scrutiny.

Williams will hold the acting post until January 31, by which time the Police Service Commission (PSC) expects to find a permanent replacement for Dwayne Gibbs, the Canadian who resigned from the post 14 months prematurely. The PSC has another top vacancy to fill - that of Deputy Commissioner vacated by another Canadian, Jack Ewatski.


Williams told the media Gibbs and Ewatski gave valuable service to policing in Trinidad and Tobago. "They have proven to be dedicated police officers and that contribution has been made towards the protection of the citizens of this land at a very difficult time, a time when we have been confronted with challenges associated especially with violent crimes," Williams said.

"As a nation, we need to acknowledge and salute these officers for their performance, having come from Canada to Trinidad and Tobago and dedicated their time here for the past just-short-of-two years," he said.

However he said in his view it is better for a local officer to head the TTPS. "I think it is best left to be addressed by a local like myself, that is my thought on it," Williams said.

"The choice though of appointing a commissioner does not rest with me so that will be one for the Police Service Commission, but I share the view that it is best left for local officers to run the organisation," he added.

Williams also advised reporters that the Police Service has "clear focus" and that he wants to ensure a "seamless transition" from Gibbs to him.

He also made it clear that he is not sure that he wants to be considered for the permanent job as commissioner.

In 2008 the PSC picked him as the number one choice for Police Commissioner but the Prime Minister at the time, Patrick Manning, rejected Williams and handpicked James Philbert as acting commissioner. The ruling People's National Movement (PNM) voted against Williams, ending his hope of taking over as top cop.
Fmr CoP (Ag) James Philbert

While the opposition United National Congress (UNC) supported Williams in 2008, he made it clear that his appointment is no political payback.

"I think it is difficult for me to appease the citizens in relation to issues around political motivation. 

"What I can assure the citizens is that I have spent the last 33 years working as a police officer. I have done everything that I can do as a professional police officer. I have been exposed to all levels of training as a police officer. 

"I have actually been exposed to the highest level of training that anyone could receive at leadership level in the Commonwealth within policing. My CV speaks for itself, my record of performance speaks for itself, I lead by example. I spent 33 years not taking a single day sick leave to date. How many persons in public life can speak to that?

"So I do not have to address the issue around politics. I have to address the issue of policing, that is my profession. I have spent a career doing that. I have qualified myself as an attorney-at-law. There is so much out there in the context of me as a police officer, so the issue of politics is not there for me. I am a professional police officer and I stay away from politics," Williams said.

He said he is committed to controlling violent crime as a top priority and he plans to get input from all levels of the police service in order to do it. He said he also wants to deal with the issue of acting appointments within the Second Division.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai