Monday, March 19, 2012

Jack pledges to a chairman for everyone if re-elected as UNC chairman

Jack Warner went to the place of his birth on Sunday night to ask members of the United National Congress (UNC) to re-elect him as chairman of the party next Saturday.

In the second major meeting of his campaign that he launched Saturday in his Chaguanas West constituency, the Works Minister pledged to supporters in Rio Claro that he will continue to be a chairman for all, maintaining the diversity within the UNC.

He appealed to the wide cross section of the party spanning race, class and religion and warned that there is a danger that some people might want to take the party "back to the period of its dark ages when sectarian politics kept us in the wilderness of opposition politics in Trinidad and Tobago."

Warner predicted that anyone who uses race and religion to try to get votes would be "scorned" at the polls because people "do not care whether their leaders are Muslim, Hindu or Christian; what they are concerned about is that their leaders care, their leaders are accessible to all and that their leaders know how to keep them in Government even when the tide is high and the waters are troubled."

He reminded his audience about his loyalty to the UNC, stating that unlike some others who are now back in the party, he never left. "I never abandoned my dream of making this Party attractive and the best choice for government...I never wrote any letter of resignation and aligned myself with forces opposing the UNC at the time whether it was COP, PNM or even TOP."

He added, "Together, through thick and thin I stayed with this Party of which I am Chairman and demonstrated to Hindus, Muslims, Christians, old and young, Indians and Africans, black and white, that I am UNC till I die...my allegiance will always be to the UNC."

His references to race, religion and party loyalty seemed to be directed at his principal opponent, Ashwani Mahabir, although he did not mention any names.

Mahabir, who had left the UNC and joined the COP before returning to the UNC, has been endorsed by the Maha Sabha, the country's largest Hindu body. "Don't let any religious leader tell you how to vote," he said. "Let them tell you how to pray, not how to vote."

He said a leader must be accessible to the people at all times no matter what the circumstances. "My track record shows that once there is disturbance on the ground Jack Warner comes to your side to listen to your story and to offer relief in times of need."

Warner reminded supporters of his personal campaign against a lethargic UNC leadership under Basdeo Panday that had refused to let the party move forward.

"You know how hard we fought together to bring order within the UNC. Some of the very people who opposed us then now share the vision for change but the vision for change was not just about removing Mr. Panday or replacing the PNM as the government of Trinidad and Tobago.

"No! The change was about bringing to you our people a leadership that provided service and one that brought the leaders closer to the party membership and one that would make our country better for generations to come.

"That was the fight we fought. That was the battle in which we engaged. That was the war, which together we won," he declared.

He warned that a new battle is on the horizon, one that "is asking you to re-examine your leaders" and determine whether they are capable to continue in their positions and carry this party into government for a second term.

"In January, 2010, I dismantled the Movement for Change and alone I fought for the position of Chairman and offered my full support to the Honourable Kamla Persad-Bissessar for Political Leader because I knew that together we are invincible. I was right then. We both won," he said.

"In May 2010, together with the Honourable Kamla Persad Bissessar and many other Members of Parliament, I walked more miles than most if not all to put this Party on an even keel because I knew how to defeat the PNM.

"May 24, 2010 proved that I was right because we won and today we are part of the coalition of the People’s Partnership Government," he said, adding that in July 2010 he did it again to secure a Local Government Elections victory at the polls for the first time in the history of the United National Congress.

"July 26, 2010 proved that as Chairman I know how to win. Again I was right.
Your Chairman Jack Warner knows how to defeat the PNM. Tell me what do the other pretenders know how to do?" he asked.

The UNC chairman pledged as he did the night before to mobilize all the arms of the UNC, eestablish shadow MP in all constituencies that are not under UNC or People's Partnership control, strengthen constituency and party groups, grow the membership and get ready to win again in 2014 and 2015

"I am ready but I need your vote. I am committed but I need your vote. I am loyal but I need your vote. I am accessible but I need your vote. I will continue to be a Chairman for ALL but I need your vote," he said.

He warned UNC members not to leave the election to chance. "The time has come once again for you to demonstrate that we are to serve and take care of you our people...look for my symbol - the Hands of Unity - and join hands and vote Jack Warner back into office as Chairman of the UNC."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai