Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No political interference in Petrotrin/OWTU negotiations: PM Kamla

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has told reporters there was no political interference in negotiations involving the Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union’s (OWTU) and state-owned Petrotrin. 

The OWTU blamed Persad-Bissessar for the impasse which led to the threat of a strike at the energy company. Both sides met with Labour Minister Errol Mc Leod and worked out a last minutres deal, giving the workers a nine per cent increase over then three year period 2008-2010. 

The negotiations had stalled on a five per cent offer, although the company had stated that the consoldated increase was much higher than that, ranginf from 24 to 39 per cent.

OWTU’s president general, Ancel Roget had stated that Persad-Bissessar betrayed the unions and vowed to bring down her government.

The Prime Minister is not worried about such threats. “Time will tell,” she told local media. “The jury is still out and whether it is five years or three years, the voters will have a chance to express their pleasure or displeasure. 

“In the meantime, I will do what I think is best with the guidance of my team, my MP’s and my senators. I will do my best as I see it fit. That mandate was given to us and I am not afraid. I will do what I have to do,” Persad-Bissessar said.

She congratulated the OWTU and McLeod for averting the strike.

“It was in the best interest of the country and I want to thank our Minister of Labour who really laboured long hours to bring it finally to a close," she said. 

“I want to thank him very much and, of course, I have always defended the right of the workers to take such action that they deemed necessary,” she said. “It is very clear that there was never a five per cent wage bar." she added. "There was never any political interference.”

Persad-Bissessar said she also not bothered about the no confidence motion filed by Opposition Leader Keith Rowley.was unfazed. 

“Mr Rowley has already filed it and I am of the view that it is frivolous, vexatious and without merit,” she said. “There is a lot of support for Government in the country and it shows Mr Rowley’s incompetence that he would want to file a motion on those grounds.” 

She added, “We are not afraid of it and it will surely give us the opportunity to speak about our achievements throughout the debate in Parliament."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai