Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ramesh says he didn't write letter demanding money from sale of Bakr assets

Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj said Friday he didn't write a letter demanding money from the State from the sale of assets belonging to Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr.

"I didn't write the letter. I know nothing about the letter. No way could I be writing a letter laying such a claim," he told the Trinidad Express.

He was commenting a media reports that quoted a letter dated July 27, 2010, from the law firm Daltons, addressed to the Chief State Solicitor and copied to Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

Maharaj's wife, Lynette, is a partner in the firm. The letter from Daltons claims $92,650.13.

Read the story:
Ramesh wants $$ for representing Bakr

Maharaj said when he became Attorney General in 1996, the firm Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Company was dissolved and was absorbed by Daltons.

He noted that when he returned to private practice in 2001 he established his own law firm, RLM and Company.

The paper said Maharaj stressed that the firm is separate from Daltons. "I am not associated with Daltons. I have no interest in it," the paper quoted him as saying.

"If I did a case for the Jamaat and I don't get any cost and another firm takes over that law firm, which I gave up all interest in, I have nothing to do with that claim being made by the company," he said.

He insisted that Daltons was acting on its own behalf.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai