Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Letter: The Senate debate - the rest vs the government

Soldiers! Help me! I was robbed!

Hmm! Is it only by turning to sensationalism people's points would register? The headline was decided upon to direct attention to the sense of deep loss I now feel, after following yesterday's (Tuesday;s) Senate discussion about the bill to allow soldiers to arrest criminals. 

The Upper House comprises three benches: government, opposition and independent. For a long while yesterday (Tuesday) I could only make out two, as it looked like government versus the rest. The pro-opposition stance the independent senators adopted deprived me of good third bench arguments. Soldiers! Help me! I was robbed!

I used to think independents got their name due to their being above the "scoring points" thing. 

Judging from their conduct, it does't look so anymore. They came with prepared speeches hitting the government. I know no race is over till the Fat Lady sings, but, while a race is in progress I love to see each contestant striving to win fairly not playing tag team to trip up the eventual victor. The ebb and flow didn't depict that yesterday (Tuesday). Soldiers! Help me! I was robbed!

Dear independent senators! What point are you trying to prove? What's this inordinate fear you have that our soldiers would abuse power to arrest when they get it? 

Right now they have real powerful arms and ammunition and training and they haven't abused it. Is power to arrest more dangerous than tanks, warships and bazookas? 

Why do these independents wish to deprive me of their protection in the face of criminals gone wild? 

Soldiers! Help me! Don't leave me this way! Can't you see I was robbed? 

Criminals have licence to kill, maim, rape and plunder while it looks like the independents colluding with the people's enemy to have you turn a blind eye to my plight.

Humphrey Diefenthaller | La Horquette, Trinidad

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai