Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kamla answers Rowley; no kings and commoners

PM Kamla: "In our government there are no kings and commoners, no masters and slaves"
Kamla Persad-Bissessar sent a message Monday night to Opposition Leader Keith Rowley that there are no kings and queens in Trinidad & Tobago.

Speaking at a political meeting at the Debe Secondary School in Debe, South Trinidad she referred to a letter sent to her last week by Rowley on behalf of Wayne Kublalsingh.

The leader of the Highway Reroute Movement had asked to see Rowley and following their meeting Rowley wrote the Prime Minister offering advice.

Rowley stated, "It is easier for kings to reach down and touch the commoner than for the servant to reach up to the master.”

Speaking in her dual capacity as Prime Minister and Leader of the United National Congress (UNC), Persad-Bissessar provided the answer to Rowley.

"I reply Dr Rowley you should know that such thinking does not exist any longer in the new government for it is our philosophy that we are all one. In our government there are no kings and commoners, no masters and slaves. 

"Just as I would bow to the feet of my elders in respect, I do not see myself above anyone.

"My faith, my humble beginnings and life experiences, teach me humility; they also teach me fairness, responsibility and courageous leadership."

Kublalsingh is on a hunger strike demanding that the government reroute one section of the highway to Point Fortin. She assured her audience that she is not going to stop the highway.

"It would be irresponsible of any leader to halt the project, deprive hundreds of thousands of citizens of increased accessibility to the rest of the country and leave the Government vulnerable to lawsuits from contractors due to contractual obligations.

So my friends, while you can always be assured in me a leader who is compassionate and humble, you will also find one who is deeply committed to fulfilling the oath of office I swore to uphold."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai