Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Panday visits Manning, Rowley turned away

Keith Rowley was unable to see his former leader in hospital Tuesday. However Patrick Manning's former political arch rival visited the former prime minister, hours after Manning was admitted.

Manning remains in Intensive Care at the San Fernando General hospital. He suffered a stroke Monday and was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

Rowley went to the hospital shortly before 4 p.m., and was told that he could not see Manning at that time. He said he was told that doctors were working on Manning and that "he had fallen asleep".

Rowley dropped in on his way to a walkabout in Moruga. He told reporters he spoke with hospital officials before leaving.

"I think the country is keeping our fingers crossed that everything will go well and he will be back to a satisfactory condition," he told reporetrs.

"We are certainly calling for God's guidance and intervention. There's not much more that we can do. I can tell you that the report I am getting on his care is excellent. All the reports I am receiving is that he is getting the best care and that's the best that we can do and hope for the best," he added.

Local Government Minister Chandresh Sharma and former Sports Minister Gary Hunt visted Manning Tuesday night. Works Minister Jack Warner is scheduled to visit Wednesday.

Former prime minister Basdeo Panday and his daughter, Mickela, visted around midday Tuesday. Panday told reporters, "I think he was a bit surprised to see me there. I am very sorry that he is ill and I do hope that he will recover rather quickly and I told him that."

Panday explained tha despite their political differences, he and Manning remained friends.

"I think we were the longest serving members of Parliament at one time. But the fact that we were political opponents did not affect us as human beings," Panday said.

"We remained on friendly terms as human beings. We carried out political battles all the time. When I heard he was ill I thought I would come and visit him. I spoke to the family to find out if it was permissible that I do so, and they agreed."

Mickela said she hoped "Uncle Patrick" gets better soon.

PNM Member of Parliament Dr Amery Browne and PNM Senator Faris Al-Rawi also visited Manning Tuesday.

"I can tell you his mood is confident, he is strong, he is a fighter as usual. He had indicated that he is okay. He is feeling okay and he is confident," Browne said.

"Of course he is under medication, so a little bit sedated but fully aware of what is going on. But with a stroke, the next few days are crucial. And prayers and support are vital at this time," said Browne.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai