Friday, January 27, 2012

Activist in PM's constituency dies in traffic accident

Community activist Khairoon Rahamut was crushed to death Thursday by a water truck.

Media reports said Rahamut, who was a close friend of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, died when the truck rolled over her head as she was returning home from the Prime Minister's constituency office in Siparia.
Rahamut was one of the founders of the Siparia Women’s Arm. The Prime Minister is deeply saddened by Rahamut's death and is in deep mourning.

“I have lost a dear friend and a sister. I will miss her dearly. She was my friend for over 25 years...when I was nobody,” Persad-Bissessar said.

“This is so sad, I was just talking to my son about her. She was my friend, my sister for over 25 years. Her entire family has been a source of strength to me and not just at the political level but a real friend to me,” she added.

Investigators say Rahamut, who suffered from Cardiac disease, collapsed while crossing the road in front of the truck at Penal Junction. The reports say she was unable to get up before the truck rolled over her.

Staff at Persad-Bissessar's office closed shop for the day on learning of Rahamut's death.

Senator Danny Maharaj described the deceased woman as one of the longest-standing members of the constituency office, who was devoted to community work.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai