Friday, December 2, 2011

Anthony returns to PM's office, calls for opposition support to face 'difficult road ahead'

"...no matter what the difficulties are that lie ahead we can face them, and together we can resolve them."
After five years in opposition Kenny Anthony returned to the prime minister's office in St Lucia on Thursday to lead a strong St Lucia Labour Party (SLP) government.

Anthony led his party to a landslide victory in Monday's general election,with his party winning ten of the 17 seats in Parliament.

Governor General Dame Pearlette Louisy administered the oath of office to the 60-year-old former PM with relatives and friends witnessing the event.

Anthony, in a brief and emotional message, thanked St Lucians for their trust and confidence. "If I have lost my composure momentarily, I think you would understand and forgive me, and I promise to do my best to honour that trust and confidence which the country has placed in me".

He was Prime Minister between 1996 and 2006 but was swept out of office by United Workers Party (UWP) led by Dr Stephenson King, who will now sit as opposition leader.

He called for support from the opposition as he warned citizens that the country faces a difficult road ahead and that no single political party will be capable of managing the affairs of the island alone.

"We therefore have to do our utmost to work together as a team, as one people, we must remember that the paramount consideration has to be at all times in the best interest of the people of St Lucia," he said. He said he would get to work as soon as he has named a cabinet.

"I ask that some patience be exercised as I complete those constitutional processes in the next few hours," he said, adding "I ask God to give me the strength and courage and most of all the wisdom to manage the affairs of the country in the next few years or until such time it is necessary for me to say goodbye to political life.

"So for me it is time to say to all St Lucians that no matter what the difficulties are that lie ahead together we can face them, and together we will be able to resolve them," he said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai