Monday, May 3, 2010

Villafana's "DO SO" makes headlines in Canada

The Winnipeg SUN in Canada's prairie province of Manitoba carried a story in its May 3, 2010 edition about Percy Villafana, the San Juan, Trinidad man who told Prime Minister Patrick Manning not to enter his yard.

The story by PAUL TURENNE is headlined: 'Pegger called national hero in Trinidad - Defies Caribbean nation's PM". Jyoti has reproduced it below.

An 81-year-old Winnipeg man has become a major folk hero in his native Trinidad in recent weeks after performing a simple gesture in defiance of that country’s prime minister.

Percy Villafana, who moved to Winnipeg about 40 years ago but now winters in the Caribbean country, raised his arms to form an “X” in the face of Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister Patrick Manning while the political leader was on a walkabout in San Juan, Trinidad, on March 15.

Since then Villafana’s “blanking” gesture has become nationally recognized and the man himself has been honoured with everything from a dance to a Facebook group with more than 6,200 members.

“I hope the people of Winnipeg see what one of their fellow Winnipeggers is doing, because it’s been positive,” Villafana told the Winnipeg Sun from his winter home in Trinidad.

Political opponents of Manning’s People’s National Movement party (PNM) have taken to crossing their arms at rallies and even invited Villafana to campaign with them, an offer he declined.

“I don’t see myself as a folk hero but everybody keeps telling me I’m a national hero,” Villafana said. “It’s kind of hard to believe it. The only person receiving more press coverage than me right now is President Barack Obama.”

Villafana, who has children and grandchildren in Winnipeg, Brandon, and Toronto — to whom he’d like to send his love and regards — said becoming an overnight celebrity hasn’t bothered him.

“It is fun for me. I’m enjoying it. I’m not worried about the exposure I’m getting,” he said. “Someone told me that if Percy Villafana were to die an unnatural death, the PNM would have a lot to answer for.”

Villafana said when he saw Manning out shaking hands and meeting people in his neighbourhood back in March, he knew did he not want to greet or welcome the prime minister, whom he considers “hopeless” and a “most arrogant man.”

He then thought of the “X” gesture that his grandparents taught him when he was a little boy.

“They told me if you come across anything and you cross your hands it will keep away evil spirits,” Villafana said.

Manning was not amused. “He looked down on me like I was a piece of s---. I told him ‘This means you are not welcome here.’ Since then things have grown and they’re growing daily,” Villafana said of his new-found fame.


You can read the story at the
WINNIPEG SUN

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai