Friday, March 5, 2010

Imbert distances himself from latest Hart-UDeCOTT scandal

Works Minister Colm Imbert on Thursday steered clear of the latest controversy involving Calder Hart and the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT).

A report prepared by the Congress of the People has provided evidence gathered from Malaysian authorities that the UDeCOTT chairman had a family connection to CH Development.

That's the company that was awarded a $367 million contract from UDeCOTT to build the Legal Affairs Ministry tower.

"Those are matters for Mr Hart and Mrs Hart to answer. Not for me. I don’t know these people," Imbert told reporters attending the weekly post-Cabinet news conference.

"Let me repeat. I do not know these people. I have never met them. And therefore I cannot answer you," he stated when reporters pressed for answers about the latest information showing that Hart's wife is related to directors of CH Development.

"’The fact of the matter is...I don’t know whether these things are true or not," Imbert said. He reminded reporters that in the past he has seen what he called a fabricated newspaper article out of Malaysia about Hart.

"That is a fact because I saw the fabrication for myself...I can’t assist you...I don’t know if these documents are real or fabricated. I suggest you ask the persons involved. I don’t know these people," Imbert declared and he made it clear that he will not ask about it.

Hart has said in the past he had no family connection with the company. In a submission to the Uff inquiry, he stated: "I take this opportunity to categorically refute and condemn as false and mischievous any allegation that I have any family connection with Sunway or CH Development".

If he did have a connection, then he would be in breach of tenders regulations.

2 comments:

Bahtman said...

What a difference research makes!! Good work COP

cbc boy said...

And he had nothing to do with the collapse of the multi-million dollar stadium in St. Georges.

One day, One day Congotay.

Sweet news to hear

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai