Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I saw death", Jack Warner

Jack Warner is stranded in China because of the devastating earthquake there that killed more than 10,000 people and left a path of destruction in central China. he hopes to leave the country Tuesday and get home by Friday.

The Chaguanas West MP is in China on FIFA business as a guest of the Asian Football Confederation for its Vision Project tour of China.

He was in his hotel room when the earth shook."I saw death," he said.

This is how he described his experience in a call to the Trinidad Express:

"I heard screams throughout this which lasted for about five minutes. I was dazed...I was stunned literally. Then it just subsided. I didn't move... I just laid on the bed. Then the phone rang and they told me to just get down. I had to grab my passport and literally run down the staircase down to the lobby.

"I collapsed outside because my knees were out after coming down those stairs.

"After this experience in a large country like China which is supposedly prepared for calamities like this and to see what they are going through now, I am convinced more than ever that in my country Trinidad... we are not prepared for such a disaster.

"And it is one of the first things I intend to bring up at my next Parliament meeting."

Warner hopes to be in New York Tuesday from where he will board a plane to get home.

See China earthquake story and pictures
See more China stories

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai