Friday, March 23, 2012

Marlene joined UNC in 2010; says she is where she's appreciated

Candidates for UNC Deputy Leader: Moonilal, Rambachan, Coudray - (Newsday photo)
San Fernando Mayor Marlene Coudray has defended her decision to be a candidate in the internal election of the United National Congress (UNC) on Saturday. She is running for one of the posts of Deputy Leader.

She is a former member of the Congress of the People (COP) and ran as a candidate for the party in the San Fernando West constituency in the 2007 general election.

In 2010 she was replaced by Carloyn Seepersad-Bachan, who won the seat and now serves as Minister of Public Administration in the People's Partnership government.

Coudray's move has angered her former party. Its leaders have accused the UNC of "poaching" and suggested that the move would hurt the governing coalition.

However,Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has rejected that, saying no one could "poach" Coudray, whom she described as a strong, independent woman.

And UNC Deputy Leader Roodal Moonilal told UNC supporters Wednesday Coudray does not have to answer to anyone for exercising her constitutional right to join a party of her choice.

Coudray herself had something to say on the matter at a UNC meeting in Debe Wednesday night, noting that she joined the UNC two years ago. She is also on record as saying that it was the UNC that proposed her to be mayor.

"I decided to join a political party where I am appreciated and where my contributions are appreciated. So if somebody told me some lady (a reference to Seepersad-Bachan) said in the media that I never contributed anything to some party, how could I contribute when I was not there?

"I am here where I am appreciated and where my contributions are appreciated. I am happy to have been embraced by all in the UNC unreservedly since 2010...

"I have been saying all week, people must always be led by their conscience and over the past two years, I chose to align myself with the UNC.

"I decided to join the UNC of my own free will. Nobody snatched me, nobody scrambled me. I'm not an egg or an animal. You don't poach me and don't insult me by saying that...

"Since the days ... we were fighting the army of the PNM, there was nothing they didn't try against me. I remain standing and it is no different from all the saboteurs now, not only against the Government, but against me as mayor of San Fernando.

"I will continue to stand up and fight them all, so don't let anyone try to confuse you. They can't distract me, they can't throw me down. I will pull them down," she pledged.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai