Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jearlean John get death threats, says she's not afraid of bullies

The chairperson of the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad & Tobago (UDeCOTT), Jearlean John, has admitted that a man who failed to get a multi-million dollar contract at the state company has threatened to kill her.

The Gurdian newspaper reported Sunday that police have confirmed that officers of the Port-of-Spain Criminal Investigation Department (CID) have interviewed John and are conducting inquiries in the alleged death threat.

John, who is also the managing director of the Housing Development Corporation (HDC), told the Guardian she would not allow anyone to bully her into breaking the rules and established systems.  


“I have a job to do and I do it in a very transparent manner. If by implementing these systems I am putting my life at risk, so be it,” the paper quoted her as saying in a telephone interview from London.

The paper reported that police say the suspect is a man who has been unable to secure contracts at UDeCOTT. Police are reported to have several threatening emails sent to John, the Guardian reported. 

John's daughter, attorney Aisha Serrette, is also under attack regarding an alleged conflict of interest. 

John told the paper her daughter has decided to migrate to London out of fear. She denied claims of a conflict of interest involving her daughter, which has led to an investigation by the Integrity Commission.

“It is a blatant lie. My daughter is an attorney, she would never have a job at Udecott. I would never pay her a salary as long as I am chairman of that company. It is a vicious lie by someone seeking work and they are seeing me as standing in their way," she said.

“It is over one year this individual has been stalking and persecuting me. To attack me is one thing; but like any mother I have to protect my daughter from harm. It is a diabolic plot to intimidate me to get work. 

John charged that there are some people inside of UDeCOTT who do not want to see the company go forward because they are accustomed to doing things in a particular manner. "But it could never be business as usual with me at the head,” she insisted. 

“Everything I do is above board. Nearly every week tenders are advertised and are going out on a regular basis. If you qualify you are awarded the contract. The process is completely transparent," she said. 

UDeCOTT's line minister, Dr Roodal Moonilal, has confirmed that he is aware of the emails from a man he described as "a regular blogger and who has chosen to target Ms John and UDeCOTT." 

He added, “I am aware of the threats against her and the matter is currently being investigated by the police.”

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai