Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sandy has contingency plan for Carnival

As police officers continued their sick out on Tuesday leaving government buildings - including Parliament - without adequate security National Security Minister John Sandy said he would be prepared if the officers do the same thing for Carnival.

"We have contingency plans in place. I met with the Police Commissioner, the Chief of Defence Staff and I am meeting with them again tomorrow (Wednesday), so we have already put in place a plan in the event that there is requirement for it to be put in place," Sandy told reporters during the tea break at Parliament.

He said the plan would include all arms of the Defence Force, including the Coast Guard and the Air Guard.

However the minister made it clear that soldiers will not carry out policing duties. They will complement the depleted police manpower, he said.

Sandy said he is disappointed with the police action. "I feel that there are other avenues, particularly if we take into consideration their motto to protect and serve with pride," he said.

"I feel that you need to look at other issues. I am not in any position to say what the CPO would determine or even the Minister of Finance...most of them, they work hard and I know that.

"But under the circumstances, if the Minister of Finance and the CPO feel that they just cannot pay, and I think that is happening. I don't know how the negotiations will eventually unfold, but at the same time I feel that when we look at the fact the policemen are part of the community and their friends and families are affected, I don't think they want to go down that road," Sandy said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai