Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Enough evidence to charge Hart, but only DPP can do it: AG Ramlogan

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan told the Senate on Tuesday he believes there is enough evidence to charge former UDeCOTT executive chairman, Calder Hart, for perjury. However he said only the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has the power to lay the charges.

Ramlogan made the comment as he moved a motion to ask the Senate to agree to a joint select committee (JSC) to debate an amendment to the Prevention of Corruption Act. The Bill proposes the establishment of a permanent Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).

“When the matter is investigated, it goes from the Police Service to the DPP, and under the Constitution it is the DPP, and the DPP alone who could decide whether criminal charges should be proffered,” the AG said.

He also suggested that the process is not moving as quickly as he would like. "I share the frustration and the anguish that things are not moving as fast as they should." He said he has expressed that "to those who are responsible, and those who are in charge, who are not under my command.”

He said the government is doing as much as it can. "Do I think Calder Hart should be charged? Absolutely! Can I do it? No!” he said. 

“Do I think there is enough evidence for the DPP to lay a charge against Calder Hart? Yes, I do! Can I as Attorney General, or this Government so direct him? No! But can I ‘vex’ with the DPP if he disagrees with me, in respect of whether you can bring a charge of perjury against Calder Hart? No, I cannot, because under the Constitution he is the one who is charged with that responsibility.”

Ramlogan reminded the Senate that Hart’s brother-in-law’s firm had got government contracts valued at hundreds of millions of dollars. 

“I am saying today to this nation that if Calder Hart said on the one hand, ‘I didn’t give work or any contract to any family member’, and you then get documentary proof to prove that he gave work to a company owned by his brother-in-law, I am saying that I am of the humble opinion that this is sufficient to lay a charge of perjury.”

He added, "The point I wish to make is that the Attorney General cannot charge Calder Hart, and the Attorney General respects the opinion of the DPP, but what I wish to ask my friends on the other side is, what is your view?”

Ramlogan expressed "every confidence in the work of the DPP", calling Roger Gaspard "a man of integrity and honour". He said he would provide whatever additional information is needed by the DPP.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai