Monday, January 17, 2011

What secret meetings? Frankie Khan says no such thing in PNM

The People’s National Movement (PNM) has dismissed talk of backroom intrigue and attempts to undermine party leader in the internal elections in March.

The Sunday Express reported that some members of the PNM are holding secret meetings to try to make sure that Rowley loyalists don't have control of the new executive.

Read the story:PNM secret meetings could undermine Rowley's control of executive: Report

However, the Trinidad Guardian said it has spoken with former chairman Franklin Khan, who is running again for the post and that Khan insisted that there is no such thing happening in the party.

The paper said Khan is confident that the new executive will help return to the PNM to power in 2015. He told the paper he is unaware of any secret meetings held by PNM members. 

The former Manning cabinet minister admitted that the party is facing many challenges. However he said the PNM remains a strong unit.

Speaking about the election, he said it will be conducted under democratic rules and dismissed the idea of rival slates as seen in other parties. "I can tell you that I am not part of any slate. I do not know why they termed it secret because as far as I know, the political leader is slate neutral in this election,” he said.

“We have to be very careful," he said, adding, "An internal party election should not be held with acrimony or bitterness like what occurred in the UNC. I want us to stay PNM, stay strong.”

Khan is trying to revive his political career after he was dumped by manning when he was facing corruption charges, which have now been dropped. "I think I will bring a lot to the table,” he told the Guardian. “I’m calling on members to understand that we need each other. We need cohesiveness if we are to get back into power in 2015.”

Diego Martin Central MP, Dr Amery Browne, also denied reports of the secret meetings. Portin Fortin MP Paul Gopee-Scoon told the paper she understands that meetings have been held "but I have not been invited to any". 

She added, "If meetings are being held it is a democratic process, I have no problem with that at all. It is a democratic country. It is democracy at its finest. But personally, I'm staying out.”

Ashton Ford, who is running for the post of PNM General Secretary also confirmed that meetings have been held but told the paper he is not a part of it

"I will not indulge in any attempt to undermine the present leadership of the party. I have never done it in the past and I will never do it now, or in the future. 

"I hope that the serious party members rally together at the convention with the view of taking our rightful place as the government of T&T,” Ford said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai