Wednesday, March 26, 2014

PM fires Ramadharsingh

Glen Ramadharsingh - FIRED
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced on Tuesday that she has advised President Anthony Carmona to revoke the appointment of the Minister of the People, Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh.

In a brief media release she said she took the decision after reading reports from the minister and the relevant authorities. The reports concerned an incident on board a Caribbean Airlines flight from Tobago to Trinidad,  involving the minister and a flight attendant. 


A report filed by the flight attendant stated that the minister appeared to be intoxicated and was abusive, refusing to carry out instructions about stowing his baggage. She also stated that the minister threatened to have her fired and brushed her left breast with his hand when he tried to get her ID, which was pinned to her blouse. A media report quoted a witness who who corroborated the story.

Ramadharsingh denied the flight attendant's version of events and appeared on the Crime Watch show to defend himself. He and host Ian Alleyne appeared to pass the blame to the flight attendant.

In announcing her decision, Persad-Bissessar said:
"There must be no compromise on integrity, no allowance for arrogance, no room for violation of mutual respect; there will be no sacrifice of our values on the altar of political expediency. 

"Regardless of whether the decisions I take hurt me politically or not, I have the strength and courage and independence of mind to measure every tough decision on the basis of what is right and just." 

She added, "I remain resolved to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. My decisions in the past demonstrate this consistency regardless of whether you are in my Cabinet or not. No one is exempt from the measure of value based leadership."
   
She did not name a replacement for Ramadharsingh.
 

The PM's release is reproduced below:

"While I was overseas attending a funeral of a family friend I received reports of an incident concerning the Honourable Minister of the People, Dr.Glenn Ramadharsingh.

Upon my return I requested reports from the said Minister and the relevant authorities. Having read these reports and after meeting with the Minister I have arrived at a decision on the way forward.

All my considerations are character driven. I hold no brief for any man or woman save the greater public interest. I am always aware of the higher expectation upon which this government was elected and the immense responsibility each of us has to uphold public trust in all we do every single day of our lives. It is not a responsibility we can choose to have one day and lose the next.

I am reminded of Gandhi’s identification of one of seven social sins as being “politics without principle.” I have insisted from the moment we took office that everyone of us must display a sound character of public integrity, fairness, humility, compassion and human dignity. No man, nor woman for that matter, has been allowed nor will be permitted to deviate from the very principles upon which we were elected by the people into office.

"I know there will be arguments put forward by some as to what was condoned in the past administration to allow for continuity but I disagree. There must be no compromise on integrity, no allowance for arrogance, no room for violation of mutual respect; there will be no sacrifice of our values on the altar of political expediency. Regardless of whether the decisions I take hurt me politically or not, I have the strength and courage and independence of mind to measure every tough decision on the basis of what is right and just.

"As I have always said, regardless of the consequences, I remain resolved to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. My decisions in the past demonstrate this consistency regardless of whether you are in my Cabinet or not. No one is exempt from the measure of value based leadership.

"In the circumstances, I have advised the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency, Justice Anthony Carmona, to revoke the appointment of the Honourable Minister of the People, Dr Glen Ramadharsingh."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai