Sunday, November 18, 2012

Letter: Bank's order to remove cap violated constitutional right

Freedom and justice are interdependent. Justice must ensure that freedom thrives while freedom demonstrates that justice is well.

Freedom is the condition of having social and political liberty; not a slave, not in the power of another or others, a freeman.

Freedom is an inalienable right guaranteed by the Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago.

Justice ensures that the constitution of a country is the principal legislation which ensures the liberty and rights of its citizens and serves as a guarantee or pledge against violation.

Since the violation of any single right could regress into cruelty and oppression of the ignorant and gullible, it behooves us to pay the patriotic price for our present freedom by being generationally vigilant.

We must be watchful and pro-active in order to ensure that dictatorship and slavery remain abolished and not be allowed to creep back in.

On Monday 5 November 2012, at around 11.15 am, I visited a bank in east Trinidad to transact business. Upon entry into the bank, I was promptly approached by one of two security officers who politely ordered me to take off my cap. I hesitated, but he firmly insisted and followed me to the queue where I reluctantly took off my cap.

Because of duress and also because I was on urgent and important business, I was forced to comply and suffer the violation of my constitutional rights.

My enquiries at the Customer Service Representatives’ counter revealed that de-capping of customers is an internal measure by the bank to tighten security.

When conglomerates are allowed to arbitrarily impose their sanctions on citizens, then our democracy and national security are under threat.
Stephen Joseph | Tunapuna

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai