Sunday, September 2, 2012

Letter: something wrong about jubilee event?

Did anybody's eyes pop out their heads as mine did when Mavis John was singing at last night's national award function? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about the supporting act Mavis had, not Mavis or Mavis's singing itself. Our National Song starts like this...God bless our nation, Of many varied races! Stop there!

Why bring a backup group to dance and sing chorus if the group isn't in sync with that? Worse, why did the organizers of last night's (Friday) award use only persons from one ethnic group, forcing them to dress up somebody from one ethnic group to portray another ethnic group? 

I'm talking about the use of an Afro person dressed up in Indian outfit. What? 

Are we still back in the days when Hollywood used to paint white actors and actresses with black polish to play black roles like golliwogs?

Come on Mr President! I thought you were cut from a different cloth? After all, your own wife is of Indian origin. I am not Indian and I felt real upset. I could imagine how hurt she felt to see such a thing right in front her eyes, knowing the whole function last night was her husband's doing, not the government's. 

I wonder how the Prime Minister and every minister and invited guest of Indian origin felt when they saw what was playing ouy before them too?
That's why I'm writing about it.

If we are to show the nation has any meaning to us, we must also supply the backup evidence in every tiny detail all the time. Of many varied races and every creed and race find an equal place has to be reflected in the makeup of the people who are to work or perform at presidential functions. 

In truth, the same thing must happen at all government places and events. I hope this letter gets published. In case not, I'm covering all bases since a copy will be sent directly to you as well.

Nathalia La Foucade | Federation Park, Port of Spain.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai