Thursday, August 30, 2012

Businessman takes down billboard, apologises to T&T

Express Photo shows Kumar Boodram with his controversial billboard
Businessman Kumar Boodram on Wednesday took down a billboard that had images of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Minister of National Security Jack Warner on the National Flag. And he offered an apology to the country. 

Boodram is the owner of Boodram and Sons Ltd in Freeport. He said he did not intend to offend anyone when he placed the billboard on on his private property near the Solomon Hochoy Highway.

Boodram explained that it was his patriotism that caused him to invest $10,000 to put up the billboard. "I felt so patriotic and under the influence of excitement to put up the billboard," the businessman said. "I did something from my own personal point of view," he told local media.

Boodram said he found Warner to be an inspiration and wanted to pay tribute to him. "So I thought I couldn't just big up Jack, so I'll put the PM. But then it turned out to make it look political. And that was not my intention to sound or look political. I think I jumped the gun there," he said.

"I would like to apologise to the nation...The mistake I made, I hope it will sensitise all citizens about the flag and its importance. I hope we can all learn how sacred the flag is and we shouldn't disrespect it. Honour the flag for what it is."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai