Saturday, May 26, 2012

Singing "She's a Queen" for Kamla insulting to African Women: Springer

Pearl Eintou Springer
The Express newspaper reported on Saturday that local author and activist Pearl Eintou Springer felt that it was an insult to African women for calypsonian Sugar Aloes to sing "She's Royal" at the second anniversary celebration of the People's Partnership in tribute to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Springer, one of the vice chairpersons of the Emancipation Support Committee, told the paper the song by Jamaican-American artiste Tarrus Riley is the only positive dancehall song for women, and should never have been sung for Persad-Bissessar.

The song has been played and sung for the Prime Minister at other events she attended in the past.

However, Springer said, "We know the disrespect the African women take from the dancehall artistes. All of them give to our young black women the blatant sex and nastiness. 

"We have this one song "She's Royal" for black women that I use all the time when I work with young black people. Suddenly, it is taken out of the context and taken into a political situation."

Springer said, "Our black women need a lot of support. They need a lot of encouragement to find their true selves, so that they can be mothers, be sisters, be daughters. This one iconic song written for them that can be used, I was stunned to see it used in the political (arena)."

She said Sugar Aloes could have sung any other song.

Here are the lyrics of the song:
Ooo Ooo, Natural Beauty, She is No I never met someone shy
Until I seen your eyes
Still I had to try, yeah
Oh yes, let me get my words right and then approach you
Woman I treat you like a man is suppose to
You never have to cry, no
I know everyone can relate to when they find that special someone
Chorus
She’s royal, yeah so royal
And, I want her in my life.
I never knew anyone so one-of-a-kind, no
The way she move to her own beat
She has the qualities of a queen, She’s a queen so (supreme..2)
Ooo Ooo what a natural beauty
Nuh need no make-up to be a cutie
She’s a queen, she’s a queen And when they ask what a good woman’s made of
She’s not afraid and ashamed of
Who she is?She’s Royal, yea so Royal.
And I need her in my life
Never knew anyone so one of a kind
Until the light that I see in her eyesMy Queen she is so supreme
I can see it in her eyes the way she smiles
Hey, yes I and I
I hold the king and queen crown same time
So I will never leave your side
Just stick with me thru the trial times She say she nuh mind
Cause right ya now good man is hard to find
And she cannot bother to join nuh lines
That’s why she has no ties at this time
A know many men are trying
But she needs to be more than wine and dine becauseChorus x2

CLICK on image for music video of song:

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai