Monday, January 23, 2012

Letters support PM Kamla's gesture of respect in India

From SELWYN BHAJAN:

Thank you Sister Kamla for your example to the nation. You have shown the world that there are leaders who cherish the morality of humility, reverence and respect.

As a young man I too travelled to India. I had felt deep within me the need to rediscover my ancestral heritable in order to better understand my internal instincts, nature and self. 


I had been brought up with strong roots in the Christian faith, but lived in a village with a Hindu temple and Mosque next door to my home. 

I was told as a child that a great, great grand parent who had come to Trinidad, was a quiet swami and meditation guru. 

In India, I understood that 'part' of my being and heritage and discovered in that amazing civilisation my deep roots in yoga and yogic wisdom. I studied for many years with a Maharishi and then travelled around the world teaching thousands of individuals the healing, liberating and precious yogic disciplines of India.
I bowed then, and bow every day, before the feet of the Maharishi and other saintly teachers of India, to my ancestors, my parents, my wife and children and my country, which I love dearly. I bow before the Christ, the Buddha, Blessed Mary and Maha Lakshmi.

I thank you for reminding our country and our world of the joy and blessings from bowing in humility.

_________________________________

From CHRIS ARSHAD HOSEIN, Naparima:

As a youth of this land, I strongly condemn the misconstrued statement made by the Opposition Leader, Dr. Keith Rowley, about Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar touching the feet of Indian president Pratibha Patil during a state visit earlier this month.

The touching of an elder's feet in Indian tradition is a sign of utmost respect and perhaps the Opposition Leader should have been better informed before commenting on the gesture.

It is most unfortunate that this statement has come at a time when the Prime Minister is working assiduously to re-establish investor confidence in our economy, something that was left in shambles by the former PNM administration.

A reckless statement such as this by the Opposition Leader serves only to tarnish the international image of Trinidad and Tobago, the very image that the Prime Minister is working to rebuild.

I see Dr Rowley's claim that the Prime Minister's gesture was a display of subservience as an irresponsible statement and one that offends the East Indian diaspora in Trinidad and Tobago.

The political immaturity of Dr Rowley has also set the wrong example for the youth of the nation who have been following the national politics.

I am humbly calling on Dr Rowley to do the honourable thing and apologise to the nation forthwith.

______________________________
From SHIVAM RAMPERSAD, San Juan

It is disgraceful to hear the honourable Leader of the Opposition saying that it is “unacceptable” for the Prime Minister to bow at the foot of the Indian president Pratibha Patil.

Furthermore, Dr Rowley’s words, “TT doesn’t bow to anyone” echoes the same arrogance that could have, perhaps, contributed to the PNM’s defeat in the last elections.

I always thought that I lived in a multi cosmopolitan country where every creed and race finds an equal place. 

Many of us may have different opinions about the government’s trip to India, one of such reasons was to woo Indian investors to our shores. 

A basic lesson that one could learn in marketing is that when there are trade negotiations between countries it works in the advantage of the “selling” country to find some common factor with the investors.
That is what the Prime Minister showed the people of India, that their culture contributes to our diversity and is accepted in our multi-cultural shores.
In East Indian culture, bowing at one’s foot is a sign of reverence and not necessarily religion.

It represents the fundamental aspects of humility rather than humiliating any citizen of Trinidad and Tobago. 

Perhaps Dr Rowley should reconsider during an election campaign when someone comes to garland him or any one of his colleagues since this is a common East Indian practice that is “acceptable” in our cosmopolitan land during election time to show hospitality.
_________

A JYOTI reader sent us this photo. 

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai