Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Guest commentary - Stop criticising and start constructing to be a true patriot

On May 24th 2010, like any other citizen, I exercised my civic duty and the electorate spoke.

Who I voted for is irrelevant as it should be for any other citizen as in the "first-past-the post" electoral system, the amalgamation of parties/movements under the banner of PP took mantle.

As an unobtrusive observer, I have found many things a bit hasty/unjust in terms of the general citizenry's perspective on the current government's actions. I say so under the notion of drawing a parallel analogy with my professional life.

When I assumed Head of a Unit that was manned by my predecessor for over 20 years, I was judged prematurely in the negative light, incessant references were made to my predecessor would do it this way and that way and people forgot that the reason he was relieved of his duties was because of dereliction of duties, shady financial actions (some of which are still to be accounted for) and basically running a department via the leadership style of "laissez-faire".

In essence, it was an indictment on me for creating order, structure, transparency and accountability and demanding people rise to the occasion and earn a fair day's remuneration.

Like public servants or any other person gainfully employed, you can legislate people's outward behaviour but you cannot legislate their mind.

If they have an allegiance to a particular following/person and are steeped in one-sided partisan politics, there is little one can do to alter the mind set and subsequent actions of a sycophant; I know that all too well through my sometimes insurmountable professional challenges with subordinates.

Common sense should always prevail and one should know that one regime was in power for 30 years (successively), then had 4years (1991-1995) and then 10 years, in totality 44 years.

The regimes that were in governance other than this regime were under different leaders (ANR Robinson; Basdeo Panday and now Kamla Bissessar). In addition, there are many variables that would have affected performance, a key one being what the incumbent inherited and what the demands of the population are.

Look at Barack Obama, he said 6 weeks ago on ABC that he inherited a situation from Bush's 8 year rule and every issue he tries to join hand and get consensus on from the Republicans, he is fought staunchly.

In addition, he said the unemployment rate is so abysmal that if it continues with this status quo by March 2012 it would be the worst it has been since 1940 (World War II).

Is he to be blamed solely for the current state of the economy?

This government has been in power for 18 months. We are told that effective management deals with diagnosis, prescription, implementation. Most important is the human resources to execute.

They must endorse/share your mission and be willing to utilise your vision. Is that the case with all public servants/Permanent Secretaries who are supposed to be apolitical but as a pragmatist the reality is people are human and innately and through social environment have biases which many times guides their actions or inaction?

I really do not care about someone being affable or statesmanly especially if they are impotent or "tortoise like" with discharging their duties.

For example, AG Ramlogan is boisterous but I like the fact that someone has decided for once to pursue "white-collar crime" and misbehaviour/impropriety by those charged with running State corporations and misuse my hard earned money.

I still await to see what will happen to Ken Julien and e-teck concerning the 5 million dollars that went into a dark hole after the technocrats/PS at Ministry of Finance with the expertise advised the Board not to do it.

Basdeo Panday could not have pursued and taken the stance like Mrs. Bissessar because he too was guilty of misconduct - not declaring his London bank accounts and the whole Piarco Airport project that gives me political nausea.

Further, he has no moral authority to be appraising the work of the government and should just stay in political exile and digest his extinction pill.

On the other side of the periphery, I await to see what happens with Calder Hart, the pillage that was allowed and brutal raping of our financial dollars.

Mr. Manning needs like Mr. Panday to go into political exile but not before he answers for innumerable questionable issues that flourished under his reign as though he was in a totalitarian state.

I remind PM Bissessar to let us know the outcome of Former Senator Mary King's case that was sent before the Integrity Commission.

Due to the fact that my professional experience is so similar to what is occurring in our political landscape, I ask all to really decide if we are honestly/sincerely being fair in our pronouncements and promulgations and public hearings on the government.

I wish to reiterate that I am just presenting a perspective as a detached observer. I have not and see no reason to stipulate my political affiliation. As the colloquial saying goes, "I just call a spade a spade"

Anne-Marie Redman |Thavenot Street, Tacarigua, Trincity.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai