Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fuad drops private practice, keeps his job as Health Minister

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan decided Monday night to end his private medical practice in order to keep his cabinet post.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissassar gave him an ultimatum earlier in the day, asking him to make the choice of she would do it for him.


Khan made his announcement in a media release. He stated:

"In a news release issued on Sunday July 24, 2011, I outlined that I was called to serve in the Cabinet at short notice and I accepted the call because of the crisis that exists within the health sector. It was my belief that I had the requisite skills to make a positive impact. It is a view I still hold.

"After lengthy discussions and after having reviewed the matter, and in the best interest of the country and consistent with the principles of integrity and sound ethical conduct, I have informed the Honourable Prime Minister that with immediate effect, i will cease my medical practice and remain as Minister of Health.

"I have decided in essence to put my country first! We are in crucial times and each and every one of us must take responsibility for the direction in which we want our nation to develop. 

"I love my country, and if this is the best way I can serve, I stand ready, willing and able to answer that call. I now urge every citizen to work with me as we transform the public health sector."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai