Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bhoe says he brings no baggage to new post, all prior activities 'above board"

Dr Bhoendradatt Tewarie told reporters Wednesday he is not bringing "any baggage" with him in his new role as a cabinet minister.

Tewari was sworn in as Minister of Planning, Economic Restructuring and Gender Affairs and attends his first cabinet meeting Thursday.

He is a former principal of the University of the West Indies, St Augustine campus, has served as a director of the CL Financial, and was a university.

Speaking to reporters about his work prior to joining government Tweari said "When I was on the board I served well, I tried to do the best that I can, perhaps that wasn't good enough," he said about his CL role.

"I eventually resigned from the board and I cooperated with all interested parties and I did nothing that was wrong. I was a non executive member which meant I did not have any direct control over anything," he added.

"The time that I served at CL Financial and Republic Bank was a part of my life that was important. I learned a lot, I made the contributions," he said.

"There is a story to tell about that but this is not the time or the place. All I would say is that before any crisis even loomed I had conversations with the Governor of the Central Bank."

He also spoke about his personal feelings on taking up the post. "I will be honest with you. First of all Minister King is a good friend of mine and to succeed her in this particular context does bring to me mixed feelings and I want to confess that," he said.

"But on the other hand I am happy. In life you have to make choices in situations which you find yourself and I am happy that the Prime Minister had the confidence in me to invite me to the Cabinet," he added.

He said he made the "hard decision" because he wants to do the best he can for his country.

"I want to make the best contribution that I can to the People's Partnership and I want to support the honourable Prime Minister to be a high-achieving Prime Minister in Trinidad and Tobago. She has started very well," he said.

He said his first priority would be "to try to align ministerial action in the Ministry to which I have been assigned to the manifesto's commitment."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai