Friday, March 18, 2011

Jack puts CAL board on 'hold' pending meeting with PM


Jack Warner has suspended the work of the board of state-owned Caribbean Airlines (CAL) until he meets with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to discuss the state of affairs with the airline's board, headed by George Nicholas III.

However the Works and Transport Minister dismissed reports that he has fired the board.

"I don't think there is any truth in those reports, I know there is some turbulence in the CAL board, it seems to me that the turbulence is not getting any better. I met with the full board yesterday (Wednesday), we spoke at length, the members all aired their grievances," Warner told reporters Thursday.

He said there was consesnsus on one issue at that meeting - that the board cannot continue to function as it has been doing. 

"I don’t think that CAL can continue simply meandering unless there is some cohesion in the board and therefore I have to talk to the Prime Minister first before I say anything more at this stage,” he said.

He said any decisions on the future of the CAL board will be made when Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar returns from London next week.

The Minister confirmed that he has written Persad-Bissessar on the matter to request a meeting on Tuesday, immediately upon her return home from London where she is attending Commonwealth Week celebrations.

"I also did advise the Prime Minister that I advised the board not to hold any more meetings until after I have met with the Prime Minister," he confirmed.

Warner said it is not his duty to make decisions on State boards and their Chairmen. And he did not say what he would recommend to Persad-Bissessar.

“I prefer not to say as yet until I talk to the Prime Minister. I owe it to her, both in terms of respect and as the line minister, to talk to her first before I make my recommendations,” he said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai