Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Express: Roberts to challenge Dookeran for COP leadership?

A report in the Sunday Express quotes unnamed sources as saying that Sports Minister Anil Roberts is planning to run for the leadership of the Congress of the People (COP).

However, the report headlined "Revolt in COP" quotes both Roberts and Dookeran with neither of the two confirming the report.

It quotes Roberts as saying that Dookeran, as leader of COP should discipline party members who have wrongly criticised the People's partnership government. In addition the paper said it asked Roberts specifically if he would be interested in the leadership of the party if the party gave him such a mandate.

"If people on the ground would like me to, I would never shirk my responsibility and I am not afraid of anybody nor any responsibility, so if my membership across Trinidad and Tobago would like me to, I will accede to the request. Of course, I will be privileged and honoured," the paper quotes Roberts as saying.

The Express also says Roberts was critical of some top members of the party, including Robert Mayers and Vernon De Lima for making what he said were incorrect allegations about the Prime Minister and the People's partnership government.

The paper says COP Chairman Joesph Toney declined comments on the issue of divisions within COP, quoting him as saying he prefers to wait to hear exactly what Roberts has to say.

The Express says it also spoke with COP leader Winston Dookeran. It quotes Dookeran as saying, "I will not engage in such frivolities. There are major issues to deal with in the country."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai