Thursday, December 2, 2010

84 get keys for HDC homes; PM Kamla to move into her own home for Christmas

After a 40-year wait Theophilius Brown gets keys to his house from Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Thursday handed out keys to persons who have been given houses by the Housing Development Corporation.

Eighty four people got keys. Some of them had waited more than 14 years for a place to call home. And one person, Theophilius Brown, said he was on the waiting list for 40 years.

"Well I didn't even realise I was waiting, I thought (my application) was thrown away," Brown said on a promotional video shown during the ceremony. The Prime Minister wept while watching the video.

HDC's managing director Jearlean John said 124,000 names are on the waiting list for social housing.

Persad-Bissessar said she understands the joy one feels in moving into a home. And she announced that she will soon move into her own home in south Trinidad.

"For Christmas I am hoping to move into my house so I know how you feel. I'm planning to move into my own house for Christmas and I know how you feel," Persad-Bissessar said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai