Saturday, October 2, 2010

Volney makes "sincere and unreserved" apology

Justice Minister Herbert Volney offered the House of Representatives Friday his "sincere and unreserved apology" for comments he made during the budget debate on September 16.

The former judge said, "Clearly, I did not, could not have, and certainly would not have spoken adversely on the conduct of any judge or other person engaged in the administration of justice from whence I proudly came."

Volney found himself in the eye of a political storm after he suggested in Parliament that there was a sweetheart deal between the Attorney General in the former administration and Chief Justice Ivor Archie through which the state provided Archie with a "opulent mansion" that is costing the taxpayer nearly $60,000 a month.

He was censured for his comments from several quarters, including the opposition, the judiciary and even Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar who called his comments "unfortunate" and "unnecessary".

The Standing Orders of the House of Representatives prohibit members from raising the conduct of judges or other persons engaged in the administration of justice except on a substantive motion moved for that purpose.

Volney said it was not his intention to violate the Standing Orders of the House, or the sanctity of the principle of the Separation of Powers, pointing out that he "fully accepted" that the Judiciary is to be "respected, preserved and upheld".

The minister stated, "To the extent that I was unclear and my bespoken words left an offensive interpretation open, I offer my regret for the vagueness of my language. 

"Should my spoken words have opened the eye of perception to offence, to anyone, I am sincerely regretful, for it was never intended that I be so understood."

He also outlined his record as judge, noting that since 1994 "I have openly spoken from the bench of the Supreme Court, at all times mindful of this important principle. I have lived in the pages of our Constitution and faithfully observed its strictures.

"Over these long years, I have raised my concerns that the laws governing the criminal justice system were Victorian in era and had clearly outlived their usefulness. It is in this context that I had hoped that my parliamentary contribution would have been understood," he said.

Volney assured the Parliament and the national community that he looked forward with zeal and anticipation to working towards the strengthening and improvement of the criminal justice system.

"This is a cause to which I have dedicated my entire adult life. I reiterate my full and unswerving commitment, as Minister, to a collaborative partnership with the Honourable the Chief Justice, the Judiciary and its Commission, as we work together towards transforming our criminal justice system," he said.

"I beseech you Mr Speaker, that in the reflection that follows my spoken word, that I be judged only on the annals of Hansard, for in it alone, lies bare the truth of what I said."

His apology did not impress the opposition and the Law Association, whose president, Martin Daly called it "a mockery". He said Volney did not apologise for his direct attack on Archie, adding that he is surprised that the government accepted it.

Opposition leader keith Rowley shouted, "Shame on you! Resign."

READ Volney's full statement

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai