Thursday, September 23, 2010

Commissioner Gibbs takes charge of T&T police, won't tolerate corruption

Canadian Dwayne Gibbs took charge of the Trinidad and Tobago police service Wednesday with a pledge engage in a war against crime and criminal elements in the country.

The new Commissioner of Police (CoP) described the task ahead as "challenging" and said he is ready to hit the road running.

"Certainly, as a police officer, I intend to get into these areas. I don't intend to sit in office, although I know the demands will force me into that office," he said during a stakeholders meeting in Port of Spain.

"I can't do policing without getting into the areas and seeing what is taking place, without seeing and talking to the people to find out what the issues are in theses areas. I could hear about them, I have been told about them, but I am a visual person, and as far as leading the troops, yes. I expect to go out," Gibbs said.

He said he has no problems with a clause in his contract that he would be fired if he fails to perform.

"I believe in accountability and if I'm not accountable to the people of Trinidad and Tobago for my work, then why would you want to keep me?" Gibbs asked.

He appealed to everyone to work with him, admitting that "one person can't go out and stop all of that."

He said, "If we stand together as a collective society and a business, association and school board, we could make a huge difference.

"People here have to live, not in fear, they need to live in safety and have to have the feeling that they could go outside and they could live independently, and that's the goal that we will work on," he said.

Gibbs said he has a lot to learn and he plans to do it by listening to what the various stakeholders have to say. He said while Canada has a different culture both countries have a great understanding of policing.

"Help us to help you," Gibbs said, as he pledged to work to bring back peace and tranquility back to Trinidad and Tobago.

Gibbs also commented on the role of police officers, saying they should always operate with integrity and honesty. He warned that he will not tolerate misbehaviour or corruption in the force.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai