Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"We must feel proud of the achievements of people's power": Dookeran

Independence day message from COP leader Winston Dookeran:

On this historic occasion of the 48th Anniversary of our Independence, I salute all patriotic citizens of our twin Island Republic, who have contributed in one form or fashion to the development of our beloved young nation.

I wish our country and our People’s Partnership Government continued success in effectively addressing the many challenges that we face.

This anniversary of our Independence is being marked by the empowerment of new Central and Local governance arrangements, rising expectations for good governance, and renewed feelings of community spirit.

It is a year when we rejected outright undemocratic practices and secret governance based on nepotism, and lack of accountability. We have in fact taken back our country from the cabal and the cartel.

We must not now allow these gains to be frittered away. We must conserve our God-given patrimony for the equitable benefit of all. We must feel proud of these achievements of people’s power.

The expressed desire of our Prime Minister, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, is that this year’s Independence should be celebrated throughout Trinidad and Tobago by all the people.

To that end we are organizing celebrations in every village, town, municipality, corporation and city.

This year, let us rekindle a process for a new beginning for the future of Trinidad and Tobago. A process that will depart from the past and will embrace all the people in Trinidad and Tobago, as citizens of equal stature in our nation.

It is timely that we should remind ourselves of our National Pledge. “I solemnly pledge to dedicate my life to the service of my God and my country. I will honour my parents, my teachers and my leaders and those in authority. I will be clean and honest in all my thoughts, my words and my deeds. I will strive in everything I do to work together with my fellow men of every creed and race for the greater happiness of all and the honour and glory of my country.”

I have said on many occasions before that my job really in the world of politics, is to build the next generation of political leaders in Trinidad and Tobago, to open the door for the next generation to emerge and to take us out of the wrong direction that we have gotten ourselves in.

We must get back into the hearts and minds of the people, so that we can build ourselves in this new beginning, with a better understanding of each other. In so doing I want to state that this country belongs to all of us.

A country that came from many parts of the world hundreds of years ago. What is important now that we are here in Trinidad and Tobago is that we are a Caribbean people.

We have a rich heritage and a common future. We must now bind ourselves with that heritage of strength of the past and the common hope for the future. This I believe is the essential message as we start the celebration of Independence.

It is accepted knowledge that Trinidad and Tobago and other parts of the world are currently experiencing economic challenges. This calls for new approaches if we are to successfully craft this new future.

The Congress of the People, through perseverance and partnering with like-minded citizens, has brought new people-centred and value driven politics to our nation .Our country is now positioned for the best opportunity for that better future.

From this new platform let us work to build this country together as we have never done before. Our nation needs the best efforts of every citizen in order to achieve the prosperity in which we all can share equitably.

Together we aspire, Together we achieve.

Best wishes to all for the observance of the Anniversary of our Independence. Let us make the ensuing year a period of real growth, sustained development and shared progress in Mother Trinidad and Tobago.

Winston Dookeran | Political Leader, 30th August, 2010

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai