Sunday, August 29, 2010

Philbert says he's happy with his performance even if others aren't

James Philbert told reporters on Saturday that the Police Service Commission (PSC) did not give him a reason for the sudden termination of his appointment. However he said as far as he knows the PSC doesn't have to explain its decision.

The acting Police Commissioner was sent home last week although his contract was due to expire at the end of September.

Read the story:
Philbert sent home; Williams to act as CoP

The PSC told Philbert to pack and leave immediately and called back Deputy Commissioner Stephen Williams from leave to act in Philbert's position until the new police commissioner takes office.

Philbert told local media Saturday he got a "note" from the PSC saying he should hand over to Mr Williams on Monday.

"Now, as you understand, I was acting in the post. So it meant that officially, I should have finished acting somewhere at the end of September, but that is not something that has to happen."

He said it is the PSC's prerogative "to say when I should go and they have said so...and I, as an obedient servant, I have done that."

Reporters pointed out that some police officers and the opposition have complained that it was a political move but he didn't follow their agenda.

"I do not know. No, I don't know. I don't have time to think that way. I was asked a question...and it was suggested it's just a change in administration and I don't know. But sometime, somebody should tell me, so that I could make certain adjustments.

Philbert said he was satisfied with his performance but that does not mean that other people are happy.

"It's a difficult thing to make people happy, you would know that. But I have done what I have to do and I am happy with what I have done," Philbert said.

National Security Minister John Sandy said didn't know the reason for the PSC's decision and reminded reporters that he has no control over the commission.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai