Friday, August 27, 2010

Letter to POS mayor: "I will continue to feed the vagrants"

Letter to: Louis Lee Singh, Mayor of Port of Spain:

I have not had the opportunity to read or listen to what is being referred to as your Budget Presentation as Mayor of Port of Spain and my comments are based on what I have seen and heard in the newspaper, radio and television.

I have noted that two issues have been highlighted and it is co-incidental that they are both of great concern to me at this time.

They both point to your position of ‘zero tolerance’ stewardship. I shall be very brief in my comments but will be pleased to discuss these matters with you should you so desire.

Firstly, you reference to vagrants.

I understand that you have told the public that they should not feed vagrants and that you will be making changes to the law/regulations to make it an offence to do so.

I can tell you at this time that I will continue to give a meal, unconditionally, to a hungry person if I have the resources to do so, whether it be a beggar in front of my home, a vagrant or my granddaughter.

It is not for me to judge the cause of the need.

What I can state categorically, however, is that it is your responsibility to ensure that no one attains the status of vagrant in the City. Like your predecessor, you have begun to place your responsibility on the shoulders of others.

I will not be surprised if your response is that the law does not permit you to do anything about the problem of vagrancy.

Be humble! Seek help! Seek advice!

The second issue concerns vending on the pavements and streets. I wish to address two types of vending, the pavement vendors who sell light refreshments and the ‘Charlotte Street’ type.

I have had the privilege to speak with a number of the first group over the past years and I feel proud of their entrepreneurship and dedication, working diligently in the hot sun and rain.

They do it to maintain their families, to educate their children. They do not sell drugs. They do not create any inconvenience on the pavement nor do they create traffic problems.

They provide an extraordinary service to thousands of persons wanting a soft drink, a pack of nuts, some biscuits or other such item. Maybe you have not experienced that need, maybe your snacks are delivered to you.

It is my view that this system adds to the romantic nature of the city. If your response, like many others have said, is that it is illegal, then change the law/regulations. You seem confident that you can do that.

Have you examined the hundreds, even thousands of persons who buy and sell on Charlotte Street? Both groups (I refrain from saying ‘parties’ for fear of being misunderstood) win. Vendors earn a living, buyers get good value. Port of Spain is alive! People interact!

To what extent does the ‘traffic congestion’ supersede these benefits?

I may suggest that it is your responsibility to request the health authorities to monitor the quality of items being sold, where necessary, and to ensure that the Police maintain adequate security.

I can only say that your first acts are nothing less than (ab)use of power, inspired by Satan, the adversary to caring, the adversary to love for one’s people, the adversary to the small person.

Ronald Ramcharan, BSc., BA, Pg Dip Med.
Systems Consultant/Certified Mediator

1 comment:

John Alex Lindsay said...

"It is not for me to judge the cause of the need". says Mr Ramcharan.

Equally it is not for the new Mayor to do so. Not legally, not morally.

Unless the latter wants and intends to trample thoroughly on the rights of those same vagrants, he needs to tread gently.

because for all some will surely believe and say that he needs to do "whatever it takes", that path leads towards concentration camps, even if they are called St Anne's. And he is likely to experience a great groundswell of disapproval.

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai