Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Manning verbatim on church matter

"I wish to repeat my earlier statement that I assisted with the development of the church, The Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ, being constructed at Guanapo Heights.

"I made this disclosure as soon as the matter was brought into the public domain. I stated then and reiterate now that I visited the site once, in broad daylight, when I held the post of Prime Minister, accompanied by the usual security detail.

"I wish to repeat that no special preference was given to the church, the Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The land on which the construction is taking place was leased to the church by the government of Trinidad and Tobago in the same way that other denominational bodies have acquired land from the State.


"Also and very significantly, whilst considerable financial assistance was given to other religious bodies, no money was ever given to the church, the Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Indeed over the five years up to 2009, approximately $58 million was granted in assistance to various religious organisations to improve their effectiveness.

"I wish to again state that no State funds have been used in the construction of the church. The Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ. A fact which can easily be verified by those carrying out investigations.

"The arrangement between the church and the contractor are matters between the two parties, I again repeat that no instructions were given at any time by me to UDECOTT in this matter, as any investigation being undertaken would reveal."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai