Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jack tells U.S. VP he is welcome in T&T any day; will support US bid for World Cup

FIFA Vice President and Trinidad and Tobago cabinet minister Jack Warner met with American Vice President Joe Biden Friday and told Biden he is welcome in Trinidad and Tobago any time.

Warner was responding to Biden's comment that he would like to visit the country. “Mr. Warner, next time you see President Obama, you must tell him that I have to be in Trinidad. I have heard only marvelous things about your beautiful country,” Biden told Warner during their talks in South Africa.

Biden dropped in to watch the World Cup game between the U.S.A and England and met with Warner who told Biden, "Mr. Vice President you are always welcome in our country...It would be truly an honour to have you visit our shores.”

At the meeting Biden congratulated Warner on his appointment as Minister of Works and Transport in Trinidad and Tobago. "Your party supporters must be pleased. I am sure you will continue to serve your country exceptionally well,” the vice president said.

Commenting on the meeting, Warner said it was "informative" adding that he continues "to be humbled by all that surrounds me on a daily basis."

Warner said, "This has been an interesting week for me here in South Africa, but again I reiterate that no matter what office I hold I will continue to put my country first. It is service to the people of Trinidad and Tobago that inspires me to act and I will say more about this on my return to Trinidad on Tuesday afternoon.”

Warner met with President Obama at the White House last July to discuss the bid by the U.S. to host the FIFA World Cup in either 2018 or 2022.

Earlier this week he reaffirmed CONCACAF's support to the U.S. at a meeting of the CONCACAF delegates.

“Football is a family and a member of this Confederation has put its hat into the ring to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup games.

"We have decided as a family that our support will go to the U.S. first and foremost. Again I wish the US Bid Committee all the best in their endeavors,” Warner said.


Earlier this year the U.S. officially handed its Bid Book to FIFA, identifying 18 venues as the official host cities for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. The United States previously hosted the FIFA World Cup in 1994, as well as the FIFA Women's World Cup in 1999 and 2003.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai