Sunday, June 6, 2010

Jack stands on guard for corruption

Trinidad and Tobago's new Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner has promised that he will not stand for any form of corruption in the new People's Partnership government led by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Trinidad Guardian's Clevon Raphael, the minister, who retains his post of Vice President of FIFA, spoke about his work and his expectations and clarified matters relating to his continued role in the world football body.

"I have spoken to the Prime Minister, and it was agreed that I will reduce considerably my work load at Fifa and will resign from all the committees which might negatively impact on my performance here," Warner told Raphael.

"You see, Clevon, because of the snap general election, I had no time to groom anybody, so it is not possible to leave the football just so," he explained.

Commenting on corruption in government affairs, Warner noted that corruption caused the downfall of two governments –Basdeo Panday and Patrick Manning. "And you can take this to the bank. Corruption will not cause the downfall of the Persad-Bissessar administration. Not under Jack Warner’s watch," he declared.

"Anytime I see, smell or even perceive anything is corrupt, the Prime Minister will be informed...I am not prepared to tolerate any form of corruption," he stated.

He disagreed with the view that because of commanding mandate the government received it might be inclined to tolerate some corruption. He said the government is aware of the high level of expectation by the population and because of that "we cannot become complacent".

He said, "The people will hold us accountable, and we don’t intend to ever let them down."

Warner admitted that he is a workaholic. "Work for me is like a tonic...an elixir. I work 20 to 22 hours per day. I have no problem with that. God has been good to me. I don’t get tired easily...I have lost the desire for more than two hours of sleep," he said.

He joked that if he is caught sleeping more than two hours it's time to call the mortuary "because I will be dead."

On a more serious note he said he anticipates no problem in dealing with the demands of his new assignment, even pointing out that "my Permanent Secretary, Sheila Blackman, is a past pupil of mine. I taught her at school... We have a very good relationship."

He also expressed confidence in his junior minister, Rudy Indarsingh.

Commenting on his plan to ease traffic congestion Warner said he respects the views of those who object to the idea of opening up the Priority Bus Route (PBR) but believes that people need to be more innovative.

He added, "I have friends all over the world who are prepared to help me at no cost to the government. If they can solve this problem in London, Seoul and Tokyo, why they cannot solve it here?"


READ THE EXPRESS EDITORIAL: Jack should be encouraged

Raphael also raised the contention by critics that Warner is an investor whose time has come to reap the benefits.

"I expect them to say that and much more," Warner stated. "The fact is, I have made a conscious decision that I will invest whatever I have in the interest of Trinidad and Tobago, be it football, youth development; whether it is in politics...and without any thought of recouping my investment.

"I came into this world with nothing, and I will leave it with nothing. All my life I have been giving," Warner said.

He closed the matter with a jovial anecdote: "My wife always give me this joke: that she has to stay far from me, because I might just give her away, too."

Read the full interview in the GUARDIAN

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai