Wednesday, June 9, 2010

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter congratulates Jack on election victory

Fifa top men - President Sepp Blatter and Vice President Jack Warner in South Africa

FIFA President Joseph Sepp Blatter on Tuesday publicly congratulated Jack Warner on his victory in the May 24 general election in Trinidad and Tobago.

Warner, who is Chairman of the UNC, won a landslide in his Chaguanas West Seat, getting more than 18,000 votes - the highest ever for any candidate in an election in the country.

Warner, who is Fifa's longest serving vice president, is in South Africa for the opening of the 2010 Fifa World Cup.

In congratulating Warner at a meeting of CONCACAF delegates in South Africa, Blatter said Warner's victory is an "historic and defining moment in Trinidad and Tobago’s politics."

Blatter stated, "On the occasion of your political victory, I would like to kindly extend my deepest congratulations as well as my best wishes of success."

He added, "Your election victory is a vibrant testimony of your brilliant political career and represents the desire to assist the people of your beautiful country to strengthen the cultural and educational values within the society of Trinidad and Tobago further.

"I am certain that you will take this responsibility and that you will rise to the challenge to continue building a better future for Trinidad and Tobago. It gives me great pleasure to wish you the force all the success for the challenges ahead.

"I know that you have been appointed Minster of Works and Transport, my friend Jack you will continue to break any imaginable barrier this life to offer. You have rewritten the history of your nation; I wish you and your government all the best.

"I have heard of your invaluable contribution to your party’s victory. My friend you will never been forgotten. Last week I sent congratulatory greetings to your Prime Minister and your Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs and I have invited both of them to the World Cup Finals in South Africa. I await their advice.”

In his response Warner said he is deeply touched by the President's message but insisted that the victory is not about him but is an accomplishment for the people of Trinidad and Tobago.

"I would like to thank President Blatter for all that he expressed today, but my victory isn’t about a man, but it is an accomplishment for a nation," Warner stated.

"Trinidad and Tobago is changing, we are a conscientious people, we see beyond gender and race. We understand that we must change to progress. If in any minuscule way I am part of that change, then I have succeeded in my mission," he added.

Warner said that mission is to ensure that "our children and grandchildren have hope for a better future. The government of our great nation has a great task ahead, but I’m sure we will succeed. In Trinidad & Tobago, we as a government will make good on our promise to the people for a better future.”

Warner returns home on June 13. During his absence he has been liaising daily with his Permanent Secretary and his Ministry officials to ensure the projects initiated last week continue as planned.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai