Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Taking Kamla's hand; a promise of hope

UNC Chairman Jack Warner has responded to a letter sent to media editor from a PNM supporter who is ready to accept the challenge of UNC leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar's challenge to "hold my hand".

JYOTI has reproduced both the letter from Candice and the party's reply:

The letter from Candice:

This is an open letter to Kamla Persad-Bissessar and the coalition team.

I am a 47-year-old female of African descent and a “PNM-diehard” who lives in Morvant, a predominantly PNM area in the east-west corridor.

I was born and grew up under the legacy of the PNM leadership. I have over time become saddened and disillusioned with my Prime Minister and the manner of his governance.

The People’s National Movement is as we all know, predominantly an Afro-based party, ruled by Afro-Trinibagonians and has largely an afro-based following.
I don’t consider myself a racist, but was born into this culture that says “we must not let the Indo- Trinbagonian rule us.” My fear has continually caused me to vote for the PNM.

Now, change is in the wind and is taking place in the hearts of the people, my people.
Given the fact that there will still be a lot of people who will vote race, I say now, as for me no more.

I cannot vote for a party or a prime minister who thinks that it is more important to put most of our resources in a 2020 vision of bricks and mortar and not deal with the real needs of the people.


I wish I can say to the PNM “Mr Prime Minister stop insulting the intelligence of the people. Stop bribing the people with promises that you know you will not keep in exchange for their votes.

Your promises are like the thin layer of pitch that your Government is so hurriedly applying to the nation’s roads.

We see you.”
Mrs Persad-Bissessar, I hear you. I hear your call for unity. I know that unity is something that has to be continuously and vigorously pursued and it will not come overnight.

We need to start sometime.

You have made a plea for us to take your hand and put our trust in this coalition team.

Because of this call I am willing to make a change for change. I am still afraid but willing.

So Kamla, I will take your hand and let all those who are brave enough, walk hand in hand with this coalition party and let us rise. Fearful but hopeful.

CANDICE THOMAS | via e-mail

_____________________________

The UNC's response:

My dear Candice,

I refer to your letter titled "Taking Kamla's hand" and do wish to advise you that the Political Leader, Ms Kamla Persad-Bissessar, has asked me to respond to you on her behalf based on her extremely busy schedule at this time.

In this regard, I do wish to advise that the greatest tragedy of any society is not the strident clamour of bad people, or the social deviance of rabs and mobs, but rather the appalling silence of good people in the face of wrongdoing.

Your disillusionment with the PNM is not without cause neither is your silence without understanding.

Your experience and your story have the been the experiences of many who live along the East-West Corridor and your letter to the Editor gives us all hope; it tells us that as a society we are no longer prepared to remain silent.

The politics of yesterday used all forms of media to divide us: race, gender and geography.

Keeping our people apart was the method used to secure victory at the polls. Even now, issues of religion and culture have been enjoined to the many divides at a time when we need to hold hands with each other and walk the talk.

I want to thank you for your strength to reach out for change and hold the Political Leader's hand.

I understand that such a step is not without fear but the courage to make that step must be applauded.

Let me assure you that the Political Leader, Ms Kamla Persad-Bissessar, will not let you go neither will she betray this sacred trust.

As your leader, she will stand in opposition to everything that is wrong, everything that lacks integrity and everything that keeps us apart.

Let me again thank you for the decision you have made for it is choices such as yours which helps us to build a brighter and better tomorrow today for future generations.

Jack Warner | Chairman United National Congress

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When barack obama became president,do you realise that the majority of people who would have voted for him would have been white,since the black population of the usa only amounts to about 13%. The wind of change is sweeping across our beloved country;kamla and winston and jack are seen as heroes for our great country,heroes that will free us from bondage and chart the way ahead. When you vote on may 24th,vote for your children,vote for your parents,vote for a future which is based on optimism and prosperity;vote for kamla.

Bahtman said...

This is incredibly exciting stuff. Cheers to Candice for not only having the courage to break out of the traditional tribal politics she and all of us were born into, but for doing so publicly and inspiring others to do the same. This election is about much more than the bad policy of the PNM and the move for change. It is about redefining the terms of Trinidad & Tobago nationalism and as such is likely to be one of the most important elections in the nation's history and future.

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai