Friday, April 30, 2010

Ex-Judge responds to PM, calls Manning a tyrant

Herbert Volney says it was a tough call to make but he felt compelled to quit his job as a judge to defend the rights of the people.

Volney said that is why he decided to enter politics. The ex-judge is the United National Congress (UNC) candidate for St Joseph. UNC leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced his candidacy on Wednesday night at a political meeting in San Juan.

Volney said one principal reason for his move was what he termed the interference of Attorney General John Jeremie in the affairs of the Judiciary, and the emergence of Prime Minister Patrick manning as "a dangerous, self-absorbed tyrant".

Volney said he is at peace with what he has done.


Volney made his comments at the UNC's headquarters and spoke from a prepared statement. He was accompanied by former St Joseph MP and UNC minister, Carlos John, the brother of former Appeal Court judge, Stanley John.

"I felt compelled to leave behind a career to assist in the process of delivering Trinidad and Tobago from the crisis it faces today.

"Each day, over the last almost 16 years, I sat on the bench I stared into the eye of evil as cases of the basest kind were brought me...My only fear is the fear of God. I fear no man.

"What is ironic is that the independence of the Judiciary should be held up as one of the criticisms of my decision when that is precisely one of the very reasons I took the decision to leave and play a part in ensuring there is a change in the political directorate," he said.

Volney spoke about how Jeremie attempted to influence the Judiciary. "The former Director of Public Prosecutions, you would recall, recounted the circumstances in which the Attorney General sought to interfere with his independence and attempted to press him into advancing what he believed to be a political agenda," he said. The other, he said, was the "hounding" of former chief justice Satnarine Sharma.

Volney said he stood up for Sharma. And he stood up for former Chief Justice Michael de la Bastide who was at one time in a tussle with UNC Attorney General, Ramesh L. Maharaj.

Speaking about his future role, Volney said he will now seek to help the people from Parliament and pledged to "defend Trinidad and Tobago with the same fervour, fearlessness and fairness that I exercise each day of my life in the many years I served the Judiciary and the nation."

He added, "I have taken a stand for my country because I was left with no other choice. I am confident that history will vindicate my decision."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai