Sunday, March 21, 2010

San Juan man who blocked PM says he's no Canadian

Last week a man named Percy Villafana blocked Prime Minister Patrick Manning from entering his property in Real Street, San Juan.

Manning was on a walkabout in the area and when he tried to enter the premises, Villafana blocked him, saying Manning was not welcome in his yard.


That prompted opposition MP Roodal Moonilal to toss picong at Manning in Parliament on Friday.

Manning countered by saying Villafana was a Canadian visitor who comes to Trinidad during the winter. Manning claimed that Villafana is a resident of Winnipeg, the capital of the Canadian province of Manitoba.

On Saturday Express reporter Kim Boodram met the 81-year-old Villafana to clear up the matter and learned that the man does not live in Canada.

"I was born right here, on this spot, grew up here and I live here," he told Boodram, who interviewed him at his home.

"I am a proud father of four with five grandchildren and all my children live in various parts of Canada - including Winnipeg - so I am always visiting them. I travel a lot, as is my right." he explained.

The former PNM supporter told the reporter he found it amusing "but slightly disturbing" that the PM had him checked out after the incident.

Read the story:
Manning says it was a Canadian who confronted him in San Juan

Villafana has no regrets about his actions and told the Express he would do it again. He said he made the sign of the cross with his arm as he blocked Manning. "That sign is to ward off evil," he said.

He told the reporter he didn't care to meet the prime minister because he didn't agree with many things that are happening, including a $2 million national flag.


Manning's attention to Villafana has given the octogenarian a platform to air his complaints about "filth at the Croisee" where homeless people sleep in the bus shed. He also spoke about other issues.

"And have you seen the hospitals? A disgrace. The windows are thick with the mess from birds and dust. The facilities are hideous. Terrible. People are suffering. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Too many people are not brave enough to do things like that," he told Boodram.

He also said since his close encounter with Manning he has got a lot of support from people who live in the area, which has always been a stronghold for the governing People's National Movement (PNM).


Villafana is upset by a remark by a member of Manning’s security detail. He said, "One of his security men told me that there was one thing I ’did wrong’...I asked him what that was and he said, "You touched the Prime Minister"....Who the hell is Patrick Manning? If Jesus Christ was walking down this street and people touched Him as He passed, He would be so pleased. So who is Manning?" he asked.

Villafana is not shy about his views and said if Manning is willing to listen he would tell him exactly what he told the Express.


"Sure, if he wants to come here and ask me a few questions, I would certainly do it. I would tell him everything I said here today about why I did what I did on Monday," he said.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai