Monday, March 29, 2010

Rowley will seek PNM nomination, says he won't be bullied

Keith Rowley is planning to submit his name for nomination as the People's National Movement's (PNM) candidate for Diego Martin West. He currently represents the constituency in Parliament.

That would signal an intensification of the feud between the outspoken former cabinet minister and his political leader, Patrick Manning.

Rowley was not present at the special PNM on Saturday when Manning instructed the PNM to begin nominations of candidates for the next general election. He didn't set a date for an election but hinted that it could be soon.

Rowley unsuccessfully challenged Manning for the leadership of the party in 1996 and since then relations between the two have been less than cordial. On open fight developed in 2008 when Manning fired Rowley from cabinet.

Manning went to Parliament demanded answers from Rowley about missing millions from a housing project that was under Rowley's jurisdiction. It turned out there was never any missing money.

And in a speech in the House of Representatives, Manning described Rowley as a "raging bull", saying the former minister was extremely difficult to deal with when he doesn't get what he wants.

Read the story:
Manning calls Rowley "a raging bull"; defends UDeCOTT

But Rowley is not ready to roll over and die politically. In an interview with the Trinidad Express he said he is prepared to submit his name for the constituency of Diego Martin West.

"And if they say they don’t want me as their MP, I will thank them very sincerely for the period that I served" he said.

"If, on the other hand, they nominate me, we go to Balisier House and the party will make its choice. But I will not be frightened from the screening because some individual feels that that is where he could have his way. The PNM is not an individual plaything," he declared.

He insisted that he will let the party "determine whether I am a fit and proper person to be a PNM candidate. It is very simple. If what I stand for, if what I represent, is not what the PNM represents, then they will part company with me."

Rowley told the paper his membership in the PNM is not open to negotiation "on behalf of individuals who have a problem with what I stand for."

He added, "I have been in the party since 1974 and if at this stage I am suddenly unsuitable for the direction that the party is heading, then let them say so and we will discuss it from there."

He also raised the issue of his dismissal from cabinet. "I was told to surrender my Cabinet position by resignation and to move quietly. And I told the Prime Minister that surrendering my Cabinet position is his call, because he is the only person who can name a Cabinet.

"But as for going quietly, that was not ’on’. And I stand by that position today, and I will stand by that position throughout," he insisted.

"Sometimes it will fall to all of us to defend our party. And for the avoidance of any doubt, the membership I carry is a membership of the People’s National Movement. The P in there means ’people’. My membership is not negotiable", he reiterated.

Rowley told the Express the PNM has surrendered its legacy to one man who is leading the PNM down a road which, "I am certain, will be filled with regret."

He said he is "not uncomfortable with being the only person, if I have to be, objecting to the road on which the party is being taken. I was the only person in the PNM in the Parliament objecting when the Prime Minister and the PNM leader got up in the Parliament to defend Calder Hart and his wife."

He said the party is paying the price for that defending Hart and UDeCOTT. And he spoke about how that might play out in a general election.

"Let no one point a finger at me. This election has nothing to do with me. I am just another party member, but prepared to stand on the principles with which I have been brought up, the same principles I used in my 11 years in the Opposition, and the very principles I employed as a member of the Cabinet.

"And if today, I have to be victimised for that, then so be it. So anyone who feels that they will threaten me with screening, is just wasting their time. I will not be frightened. I will not be bullied. I rather stand alone, than see the party going where it is going," he repeated.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai