Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jack tells UNC vote for "Kamla and I", endorses Suruj too

Jack Warner urged members of the United National Congress (UNC) to reject all the candidates of the Panday team in Sunday's internal election and elect him as chairman along with 17 others, including Kamla Persad-Bissessar as political leader.

And for the first time in the campaign he has used the term "Kamla and I". Among those he endorsed is former Chaguanas Mayor Suruj Rambachan, whom he helped remove from office last year.

It's a major political turnaround but Warner said that's in the past and he considers Rambachan one of the best persons for deputy leader.


But while he is now fully behind a complete slate of candidates he is still running as an independent with the symbol of four hands together in unity, representing the harmony and diversity of Trinidad and Tobago.

Earlier in the day Panday derided the unity symbol, suggesting it is symbolic of handcuffs, but Warner said he chose it after Panday made racial slurs against him.

"It shows the harmony in our diversity," Warner said.


Speaking at a meeting in St Augustine, Warner launched a frontal attack on his opponent, Vasant Bharath, calling him a non-performer who is not fit to hold office. And he pleaded with UNC members to save the nation from ruin by rejecting "Bas and Vas".


He said, "I am here tonight in St. Augustine as a messenger of change and to tell you the good news is that the change we wish to see in the UNC is here."


Warner said people in St Augustine don't even know Bharat's name although he has been the MP for two years.

"Imagine you have been the Member of Parliament for more than two years and people don’t know your name, they have never seen you and they don’t know what you look like," he said.


Warner said in contrast he is known everywhere in Chaguanas West and nobody could challenge him on performance.

"In 2008 and 2009 I distributed over 4000 gifts to children at Christmas time, not only throughout my constituency but also in Couva North to bring a little cheer for the less fortunate ones among us," he said.


And he said while he was among the poor and less fortunate for Christmas, Bharath was having drinks with Patrick Manning's point man, Jerry Narace.

Warner challenged Bharath to reveal the true reason why he and Narace met.

"Vasant I want you to tell the people how all of a sudden you want to be sociable with Jerry Narace.

"He is the same man that my friend Ramesh was sociable with when Ramesh and Sudama and Ralph Maraj were plotting with Manning to overthrow their own government.Tell the people what you were plotting with Jerry Narace," he demanded.

Warner told his audience his parents and the community that nurtured him taught him the real value in life is service.

"And for all of my adult life, I have devoted myself to service and I have worked hard to make our nation a better place for all of us," adding that he has been listening and learning from his contact with people.


"And the most important lessons I have learned from my life experience from being among you, listening to your stories, sharing your grief, spending quality time with you - is that all of us share the same dreams – dreams of a better life for our families.

"Your hopes and aspirations are not based on colour, but on a sincerity to live together as one family.

"I am deeply honoured that you have made me a part of your family. And tonight I pledge that I will always remain at you side. All I ask is for you to elect me as chairman of our party so that together we can restore the UNC to its greatness and move forward and get back into government," he said.

He said this is not just an election between "my opponent and me", noting that "It's about our people, our families, and our future - and whether forces standing in your way will keep you from having a better life."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai