Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Prominent T&T women approve of Kamla

The Trinidad Express surveyed some prominent Trinidad and Tobago women to get their views on Kamla Persad-Bissessar's decision to run for the leadership of the United National Congress (UNC). This is what the paper reported:

Diane Seukeran, former PNM government minister:

"I admire her and approve 100 per cent of it. I find it the most courageous act when someone within a party with a leader such as Basdeo Panday to make such a move. That is commendable.

"This is the second time a person is taking on the leader, the PNM once had a challenge with Dr Rowley. But this is the first time a woman is challenging the leader.

"Over the years, I admire and I respect her and now, I respect her even more."

Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan, former UNC senator now COP member:

"I highly welcome her decision. I was looking forward to it and hoping she would step up. I think Kamla Persad-Bissessar is always one who I knew has that ability and capability to lead.

"I think we would have lost our nation if she did not. I was disappointed in 2007 when she was denied the opportunity by the party to play a prominent role.

"I feel we need more women in politics, the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association women’s forum advocate for more women in politics."

Prof Patricia Mohammed:

"I give her my full support. She has a long political career. She has a lot of experience. We want to ensure there is representation, if not equal, at least full representation of both men and women, and we have very few women who are brave enough to undertake this world of party politics, and I think she’s a very strong character, and we fully endorse her candidacy."

Independent Senator Dana Seetahal:

"It is a very good thing for Trinidad and Tobago and for the UNC as well. It think it’s always good to have fresh blood and in her case, this is somebody who has been tried and tested.

"I knew her at the law school...she was actually the best student in her year. The fact that she is a woman is also a good thing for the young women out there, you should not limit yourself, women in general tend to limit themselves... she’ll be a good role model."

Diana Mahabir-Wyatt: chairperson of the Trinidad and Tobago Coalition against domestic violence:

"It is a sign of progress in terms of equality between men and women. We still have legislation saying a woman can be dismissed from her job if she gets married in the Police Service although that bit of legislation has not been used.

"That Kamla Persad-Bissessar has the courage and the conviction to take the steps she’s taking, I definitely think it is a sign of progress.

"I worked with her in the Senate some time ago, and I admired her quick intelligence, she has a very rationale and incisive brain, and I think she’s somebody to watch."

Indera Sagewan Alli, Former UNC MP and Economist:

"I think Mrs Persad-Bissessar’s decision to run as is Ramesh’s decision are very credible because it speaks to the recognition that in a democracy, no office really belongs to anyone, and anybody who deem themselves suitably qualified have a right to put themselves up for any office that is available...

"I knew her politically, she’s a very strong woman, she will have to be to have lasted a long time in the party. She’s moved up the hierarchal structure and that speaks strongly of the person and character that she is."

Hazel Brown, Social activist:

"Kamla for us is the flag bearer for equity and social justice for all the good things we want for ourselves and our children and our grandchildren. She has to be strong and confident. She has to know that the women of Trinidad and Tobago stand behind her."

Read more: Kamla will open doors for all women

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai