Monday, December 28, 2009

Jerry Narace and Vasant Bharath share Christmas drinks

Health Minister Jerry Narace and St Augustine MP Vasant Bharath are no friends when it comes to their politics.

So when they got together on Christmas day at Bharath's home, people - and the media - became curious.

People were whispering about why these two top men from opposing political parties were meeting at this critical time when there are rumours of deals between the United National Congress (UNC) and the People's national Movement (PNM) and when the UNC is heading into crucial internal elections that could shake up the opposition party.

Bharath is the vice chairman of the UNC and Narace is the PNM's top public relations man.

Both men responded to the local media with the same explanation - don't read anything into it, it was just two friends getting together for drinks.

The Trinidad Express quoted Bharath as saying, "I called Minister Narace and it so happened that he was in the constituency and I had some friends over for Christmas Day and I asked him to come over for a drink...


"Jerry and I had been friends for many years, from the time he owned Budget Foods some 20 years ago. We have been longstanding social friends since then. It is nothing untoward that I would invite him to my home."

Narace told the paper he accepted Bharath's invitation and in the spirit of the season."I went across, yes, in the spirit of Christmas. Nothing more than that."

In an interview with the Guardian Bharath said, "I was the manufacturer of Cheekies pampers at that time so I was the supplier to Narace’s supermarket in those days,”

He assured the paper that "he was here to have a drink with my wife and I...So there is no juicy gossip."



No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai