Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I will not be terrorised!" Panday

While top United National Congress (UNC) personnel and two MPs are asking Jack Warner not to pursue legal action against Basdeo Panday, the UNC leader is sounding defiant as ever.

"Nobody will terrorise me. That I can assure you of. I will not be terrorised. I am not made of that kind of metal. Some people may feel that money can buy everything, but money can't buy class," Panday told the Trinidad Express from New York Thursday.

He is there with his wife, Oma, as guests of GOPIO, the Global Organization of People of Indian Origin, to take part in the group's 20th anniversary celebration.

Panday told the paper he is not bothered by the threat of legal action and suggested that it is part of Warner's plan to advance his personal agenda on behalf of the People's National Movement (PNM).

"Let me tell you what is Mr Warner's strategy, to get me into a running war with him, to have this in the papers every day so that he could fulfill his promise to the PNM to destabilise the UNC, but I won't let him," he told the paper.

He also spoke about his expulsion from the office of the deputy mayor of Chaguanas, which he was using to meet people from the Chaguanas West constituency as "surrogate father."

The borough passed a resolution this week to end political meetings in its offices, effectively shutting down Panday's meeting place.

"God help this country if such people should ever get into power," Panday told the paper, referring to the mayor. "My job is to attend to all the people of Trinidad and Tobago and I will find ways and means of doing so," he insisted, adding that he "the internal strife in the party makes him stronger.

"I am not tired. I am here to serve the people and I have been doing that for a long time and I will continue to do so, and desperate men who are hungry for power will not stop me from doing my duty."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai