Friday, July 24, 2009

"I'm the MP for Chaguanas West and Basdeo Panday cannot change that": Warner

Jack Warner sent a message to his political leader Thursday, saying "I am the Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West and Basdeo Panday cannot change that!"

The deputy leader of the United National Congress (UNC) made the comment in reference to Panday's challenge for him to resign his seat in Parliament and face ousted Chaguanas mayor Suruj Rambachan in a byelection.

Read the story: Panday to Jack: resign and fight Suruj


Warner was speaking in Chaguanas at the inauguration of Rambachan's successor, Natasha Navas, 30, whom he helped propel into office as part of his movement for change.

Warner called Panday's statement foolish propaganda.
"Imagine more than 11,000 persons voted for me in the last general election and I must resign just so. I will not allow myself to be distracted from the real issue facing my Party and my country," he said.

He said the real issue is 77-year-old Panday. "Whether I resign or not is a matter for my constituents to decide and I have no intention of falling for any foolish bit of propaganda coming from the Rienzi establishment".

He added that he is not afraid to face Rambachan. "I faced him last Monday and won and if ever I have to face him again, the result will be the same."

Calling talk of a byelection nonesense Warner pointed out that he is an elected UNC MP and a Deputy Political Leader of the UNC therefore it is "rubbish" to talk about resigning as a UNC MP to fight against a UNC candidate.

Warner dismissed the affair and suggested that Panday focus on the real issues. "Now is not the time to waste people's time with such foolishness about a byelection when the nation and my constituency are facing such difficulties as escalating crime, a deteriorating economy and a reckless government."

He scoffed at Panday's call saying someone who has refused to hold internal Party elections for the last five years should not be "talking about my resigning as Chaguanas West MP" especially since he was not elected to the present office that he holds as the Political leader of the UNC."

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai